Engineering Leadership Academy
Engineering Leadership Academy (ELA) is a nine-month intensive leadership development course designed for leadership-track employees who are experienced in managing projects and people and who are being considered for higher-level leadership roles within their firm (such as principal, officer, practice leader, etc.) The course is focused on expanding their perspective from the day-to-day, nuts-and-bolts of managing to the big picture, strategic thinking required to lead a firm, department, or practice area. Each ELA class is carefully chosen on the basis of qualifications by a selection committee and is strictly limited to 24 participants in order to better facilitate collegiality, dialogue, and engaged hands-on learning. 2021-2022 Applications to open Spring 2021.
HOW IS ELA DIFFERENT FROM THE FUTURE LEADERS PROGRAM?
ACEC Georgia's Future Leaders Program (FLP) has been a highly successful and in-demand leadership program (there has been a waiting list for the past several years) focused on providing talented, technically focused employees with 5-10 years of experience with the tools to transition into program, project and people management. By contrast, ELA is focused on the transition from project and program management to upper-level firm leadership. You can think of the difference in terms of years (FLP = 5-10 years vs. ELA = 10-15 years) or in terms of FLP as the "undergraduate" course and ELA as the "graduate" course.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
The ideal participant is someone with 10-15 years of experience who is being groomed for a leadership or executive management role within their respective firm and who wants to increase his/her leadership potential and value to that firm. While not mandatory, strong preference will be given to alumni of ACEC Georgia's Future Leaders Program. There is also a limit of two participants per firm, with additional employees added to a waiting list.
HOW INDIVIDUALS BENEFIT
- Gain a broader and more in-depth understanding of the business side of engineering - beyond simply managing and implementing to learning the ins and outs of strategically managing a business in a way that drives revenue, delivers efficiency and creates long-term sustainable financial value.
- Build a relationship with peer industry leaders who will help grow your professional network and positively impact your professional and personal life.
- Interact with industry leaders and gain new perspectives from real-life projects and group projects focused on navigating different business scenarios and market challenges.
- Take your leadership skills to the next level.
HOW FIRMS BENEFIT
- Develop the next generation of leaders within your firm.
- Demonstrate your firm's commitment to career development and training.
- Reap the employee retention benefits of investing in your up-and-coming leaders
- Improve your firm's ability to meet market challenges and internal operations strategically.
- Employees gain a better understanding of how to nurture client relationships and navigate business challenges, maximizing your firm's overall business development and project management abilities.
- Invest in the next generation of your firm's leaders to help ensure the long-term success and value of your firm.
TOPICS COVERED INCLUDE
- Contract Negotiation Strategies
- Employment Law
- Financial Planning and Considerations
- Human Resources
- Leadership Development
- Partnering & Teaming Strategies
- Political Advocacy
- Risk Management
- Sales / Business Development Strategies
- Strategic Planning
Applications for the 2021-2022 class will be open Spring of 2021. Completed applications will be due by close of business on May 11, 2021. The kick-off retreat will be held from September 16-18, 2021 at Lanier Islands in Buford, Ga.
Nine months. The program begins with a kick-off retreat at Lanier Islands from September 16-18, 2021, followed by three bi-monthly Learning Days, and ending with a day of project presentations, dinner, keynote, and graduation ceremony in May 2022. All sessions are mandatory.
Thursday, November 18, 2021, | Learning Day 1
Thursday, January 13, 2022, | Learning Day 2
Thursday, March 17, 2022, | Learning Day 3
Groups will also be given a course-long project in which they will be assigned a hypothetical business scenario to work through as a team. Each case is designed to challenge the groups to think strategically and make decisions on how to navigate the internal and external challenges and opportunities required to manage a successful business in the real world. Each group will deliver a final group presentation to a panel of industry leaders (who will challenge them on their choices and the reasons behind the decisions they made) at the fourth and final session.
If selected to participate, the program cost is $3,500 per person. This fee includes:
- All expenses related to the kick-off retreat (lodging, food, group activities, etc.)
- Lunch and snacks/beverages on each Learning Day
- Three tickets to the dinner and graduation ceremony (to be used for the participant, nominating principal and one guest; more tickets may be purchased for additional guests).
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.